Friday, January 11, 2008

Forward In Love - Friday January 11


I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown.”

Jeremiah 2:2


Love is a two-way street. It is only by knowing God that we learn to love and it is only by loving that we learn to know God. Like a stream, love flows from God. Like a trail of bread crumbs, love leads to God.
So how is the traffic flowing on love’s street? Is it flowing both ways? Are we as loving to God as we used to be, or are we only expecting God to be loving to us? Are we full of the little things that excite his heart? How much love have we shown him this past week?
In Jeremiah 2:2, God is saying to Israel and perhaps to us: You are not in love with me now, but I remember the time when you were. Think back to those early days in your relationship with Jesus. Are you as full of the extravagant love of Jesus as you were in the beginning? Do you remember those times when you didn’t care about anything but Him? Are you there now or have you become too wise for all of that foolish love?
If you see that Jesus means less to you than he once did, let that reality produce humiliation in you; that humiliation will lead you to repentance, which will drive you into God’s heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This devotional really stirred my heart today. Reminded me of how sometimes the busy-ness of my life & the distractions of it occasionally do take my focus off my first love –like the early days of my relationship with Him when I couldn’t wait to seek His face, or listen for His voice, or seek His will, or just tell Him how much I love Him, or just sit quietly & rest in His love. May God Bless ~